Inclement Weather Information for 23-24 School Year
Pleasant Hill R-III Inclement Weather Notice November 2023
The winter months are almost here, and it is important to review procedures for closing school due to snow or inclement weather. Pleasant Hill R-III School District encompasses approximately 75 square miles. During inclement weather, road conditions can vary extensively from one area to another. Please understand an area in town may be fine while other areas inside and outside of town may be impassible. The decision to cancel, delay, or dismiss early is based on current road conditions and weather forecasts.
- The decision to cancel the opening of school will be made the night before when possible, but if not, it will be as close to 5:30 am as possible to allow time for notification prior to students preparing for the school day.
- The District will be using the two hours delay this year. Again, we’ll do our best to make the decision the night before, but may not always be able to do this.
- Early dismissals will only occur if weather conditions deteriorate drastically during a school day. We try to avoid this since we may have children going to empty homes.
Please have contingency plans developed with your children in advance. It is especially important to have plans in place for younger children. In the event a parent is not or cannot be home, arrangements should be made for the child to stay with a friend or relative.
- Allowances for potential bus delays should be part of the planning process.
- Parents should encourage their children to dress for protection against prolonged exposure to the weather as a safety precaution.
As soon as a decision is made that changes the regular school day, the District will contact TV stations. All families and staff members will also be notified immediately with a phone message. Parents are urged to provide schools with updated phone numbers or contact information that change throughout the year. School closing information will appear on the district’s Web page, Facebook page and X (formerly Twitter) feed.
The decision to cancel school is always a difficult one. The safety of students and faculty is the primary concern when making such decisions. On questionable days when school is not canceled, we encourage parents to use their best judgment in deciding if they should bring their children to a bus stop or school. We fully understand parents are in the best position to determine the safety of their children based on local conditions.
Cancellation days are ordinarily added to the end of the school year.