McKinney-Vento Assistance Act
General Information from the National Center for Homeless Education about the McKinney-Vento Assistance Act
If you live in any of the following situations:
- In a shelter
- In a motel or campground due to the lack of an alternative adequate accommodation
- In a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station
- Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship
You MAY qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.
Eligible students have the right to:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education
- Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment
- Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents
- Enroll n the local school; or continue attending their school of origin if that is their preference
* If the school district believes that the school selected in not in his/her best interest, then the district must provide the student with a written explanation of its position and inform the student or his/her right to appeal its decision..
Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if requested
Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to the students’ needs
If you believe you may be eligible, contact the local liaison to find out what services and supports may be available.
District Homeless Liaison
Pleasant Hill, MO 86080