District introduces Dr. Wayne Burke as the new Deputy Superintendent for the 2022-2023 School Year
The Pleasant Hill R-III Board of Education is proud to announce Dr. Wayne Burke as the new Deputy Superintendent for the 2022-23 school year with Dr. Burke taking over the Superintendent role in July of 2023.
Dr. Burke began his employment with the Spring Hill School District in the fall of 1997, serving as the assistant high school principal and activities director of Spring Hill High School for four years, and then principal for another five years. Leaving the Spring Hill School District in 2006, he served as the assistant superintendent for human resources in the Derby School District (KS) for three years. He returned to the Spring Hill School District in 2009 to serve as assistant superintendent before being named the superintendent-elect in 2014. He became Superintendent of Spring Hill USD 230 on July 1, 2015.
Under Dr. Burke’s leadership, USD 230 has achieved several notable accomplishments.
The highlights include:
- Fastest growth in the state of Kansas over the past five years
- Opened two new elementary schools
- Opened a new middle school, with another currently being built
- Opened a new Educational Support Center & District Administrative Center
- Increased in high school test scores & graduation rates
- Facilitated the transition from Class 4A to 5A for Spring Hill High School
- Passed the largest bond in school district history ($82.4 million) in 2016, followed by second largest ($72 million) in 2018
- Passed the 2016 bond issue with a 72% approval vote, the highest in school district history
- Refinanced of six series of bonds saving the district more than $7.6 million in principal and interest payments
- Largest virtual school in the state of Kansas with an enrollment that is more than 20% of the state’s total
Dr. Burke received his doctorate of education from the University of Kansas, a Master’s Degree in Education Administration from Emporia State University and a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Education from Kansas State University. He also is a member of numerous national and state level professional organizations.
Dr. Burke has been actively involved in serving the Spring Hill and Greater Kansas City Communities. Highlights of his service include:
- Member of the Olathe Economic Development Council
- Member of the Johnson County Library Board
- Member of the Spring Hill Chamber of Commerce
- Member of the Spring Hill Education Foundation Board
- Founding Member of #ZeroReasonsWhy
In 2021-22, Dr. Burke was selected as a Kansas Superintendent of the Year Finalist. In 2019, Dr. Burke was selected for the 2019 Leadership Kansas Class by the Kansas Chamber.
Dr. Burke stated, "I'm very excited to begin work in the Pleasant Hill School District and become part of the community. I've heard so many great things about Pleasant Hill and it's tradition of educational excellence."